Saturday, 10 January 2015

Ketchup clouds by Annabel Pitcher - A British Book Challenge review.

not mine.

Secrets, romance, murder and lies: Zoe shares a terrible secret in a letter to a stranger on death row in this second novel from the author of the bestselling debut, My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece.

Fifteen-year-old Zoe has a secret—a dark and terrible secret that she can't confess to anyone she knows. But then one day she hears of a criminal, Stuart Harris, locked up on death row in Texas. Like Zoe, Stuart is no stranger to secrets. Or lies. Or murder.

Full of heartache yet humor, Zoe tells her story in the only way she can—in letters to the man in prison in America. Armed with a pen, Zoe takes a deep breath, eats a jam sandwich, and begins her tale of love and betrayal. Goodreads description.

I was rather impatient when it came to reading this book, I found myself flipping through the pages at lightning speed. I was engrossed by the plot and the amazing dialogue between the characters. My favorite pieces of dialogue took place between Zoe and Aaron. At times I found myself getting irritated at Zoe and her actions but that also kept me reading. That, the love triangle, her dysfunctional family and the mystery.

 The story begins by Zoe writing her first letter to Mr Harris. Parts of the letters switch from the present tense and the past when Zoe would begin retelling the events leading up to her big secret. There were some parts that umm... well I wouldn't really recommend for children but a part from that I found the book fine.

 My favorite character would have to be Aaron. The things that he says, the way that he acts. The coolness about him and his intellect. I was instantly drawn to him from his first appearance in the book.

So all in all this was a great book. I give it a 4.9 out of 5. I took 0.1 of a star away because there were no unicorns. I'm joking, excuse my horrible sense of humor. It looses 0.1 of a star purely because I couldn't figure out the relevance of the title to the book.It's a very intriguing title but I'm not quite sure what part of the book is related to the title.


8 comments:

  1. Wow Stella! Your blog is so amazing and inspirational. I'm blown away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww shucks. Lol when did I turn country.Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fascinating book! You're right, the title is extrememly intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. One of my favorite books so far.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a brilliant book! Definitely adding it to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, I'd love to know what you think about it when you've read it.

      Delete
  4. Hopping over from the British Books Challenge...

    ...and this is the second time I've heard about this book while I was hopping. Amy liked it, too: http://christopherfoyledagain.blogspot.com/2015/01/what-am-i-reading-monday-brit-lit_11.html

    I'm adding it to my list!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really good book I'm glad your going to be reading it.

      Delete