Pages

Monday, 31 August 2015

How To Be A Rasphutile

If you think about it, the concept of a gang of teenage mutant ninja turtles is really rather frightening.

Rasphutile- The made up word used to describe a writer who can never finish a story.
Origin

I'm the type of person who can read for ages, yet can't piece together her own story. Being a reader doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a writer, but for me I've always felt writing was kind of my thing, one of my talents. And considering there's only two (one of which being the ability to dance like a deranged ostrich) I've relied heavily on the idea that writing isn't just something I've grown to love, it's something I've had in me. Which honestly sounds like the plot to a crappy Hollywood movie, starring some terrible unknown actress in a made up neighborhood found in Chicago. Despite the seemingly ridiculous exaggeration of my previous statement, I really do like writing.

However, I'm the type of writer that'll leave my work unfinished. Half way through and then...nothing. It's not an intentional thing, it never really is. It's not there for any dramatic effect, or to leave the reader wanting more. It's purely because I'm the type of person who has no end in mind. You know how in primary school (elementary school, if you live in America) they'd give you those story mountains (the ones with the clearly rushed drawing of a terribly slanted mountain) and they'd tell you to plan your story.
Origin

They'd tell you that every story needs a beginning, a build up, a dilemma, a resolution, and an ending. Well, I was that one child who could never really stick to the plan. I was that girl sat on the middle table with her hands raised, urging the teacher over to ask "Can I start writing now?" Despite the fact, that my story mountain either looked as barren as a desert island or ink stained and soaked with a million unconnected ideas.

I was the girl who'd write and write and write. Constantly diverting from prior planning, incorporating random characters here and there as I saw best fit. I'd end up somewhere I'd never expected, lost in a literary word under a mesh of words and punctuation. I guess it's good to get lost in your writing sometimes, but then again it can get frustrating. It seems like what you've created is no longer yours. I've always been like that. I've always been a Rasphutile. It's happened with songs, stories, poems, reports, almost everything. Weirdly though, I've kind of grown to like it. I like not knowing what my characters are going to do. I like not knowing where I'm going to end up at the end. I like not knowing what dilemmas are going to arise. I like not knowing what words I'm going to piece together.

It's not the best in terms of high school. You're urged to finish your pieces, it shows you understand structure and time limits. It shows you can abide by the academic literary laws and it shows you know where your going. But I'm just not that type of person. I don't know where my stories are going, I don't know what's going to happen and I don't know what the ending going to be. I just know that I like writing and for now I think that's all I really need to know.

Who knows? I might just grow out of it.

P.S.
 I've recently developed an obsession for Nat Wolff and it's becoming an issue. HELP MEEE!!!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post!

    I used to always have trouble finishing my writing. But since I want to be published, I knew I had to buckle down and finish SOMETHING. So I did, but still there were unexpected twists and that character every now and then whom I looked at and said, "Excuse me sir, but where did you come from?" I do like the unexpected of writing. The journey and discover of it.

    Perhaps you could compromise and write open endings? (Open endings are the best!)

    You are a very good writer! I love reading your posts. You always transport us to something different. Usually it's a world where things are greatly exaggerated and dramatic for the means of being funny and ironic. But with all the exaggerations and hilarity, that world still parallels with and rings true to our own. And I love it all! You are definitely a writer and a very good one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is honestly so well written and has really good structure.

    but i completely understand what you're saying. i'm a rasphutile too. i've started writing about 3 books and never finished either of them. but i'm glad someone else understands too. my characters are meant to be a mystery at times -- even to me. that's what makes the whole process of writing them even more fun.

    i would love to hear about how you coined this word. needless to say, i'm definitely going to be using this everywhere :)

    - nymisha @ sarcastically aesthetic

    ReplyDelete