Pages

Friday, 5 February 2016

I'll So Offend To Make Offence A Skill

 The title has no real relevance to the post but it seemed rather fitting as I'm currently studying Shakespeare.

I think that one of the coolest things you could ever really witness as a student is a teacher that's so into what they do, it's as if they've never known anything else or ever wanted to do anything more than teach. Like nothing, not even the end of the entire world, could ever stop them from teaching. I'm pleased to say that I've met a few of these in my lifetime.

My English teacher has this belief that the death of the writer is the birth of the reader. The instant a piece of writing becomes published it's like it was never really theirs to begin with. Anything from the point of publishing that is imagined deduced or suggested, is exactly what the writer had intended to mean. So take from this what you will. Unless what you're taking from it is drugs. In which case that's not what I was intending. Take from this anything other than drugs.  Also, I have an essay on Henry IV to complete next week and I'm genuinely terrified of failing.

Broken cities

You can fall a thousand times in this city and nobody will do so much as to steal a glance. It don't matter if you're black, white, blue, pink, or one train ride away from losing your mind, not even the most idle of fools will help you. You wave a dollar bill in their face though, well you'll have them hooked like a fish. Won't even fret for three seconds to help you on your feet. For five bucks you might even get them to carry your bag all the way home for you. That's if you're brave. You'll get that thing taken off you faster than a Peregrine falcon if you call for the wrong type of attention. And the wrong type of attention ain't that far from the corner shop across the road. The dumpsters at the back of that place aren't much more than finished ointment tubes and broken youths picking through empty pill bottles. Now a days it seems like faith takes place in a bottle of red pills.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, the teachers that love to teach!
    Thise are my favorites. They get excited about their topic and make it interesting for you. Learning is no longer a chore with them, its more like LOOK AT THIS COOL THING THAT HAPPENS IN THE WORLD!

    Also today we were learning about logarithms my math teacher put on a song about dropping the base (cause thats what you call the subscript that goes next to log) and danced to it and that was a very interesting experience, since he cant dance.

    as for broken cities, i imagine things gray and dingy, with frazzled and half awake people rushing from poinless point a to pointless point b, going and going and going and never stopping to look around and see the flowers, or to help a person up. Caught up and tangled in their own lives, tiny and fragile. They cut themselves off from distraction, but also from compassion amd beauty.

    I must learn what spoken word is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, your maths teacher sounds like an amazing guy. In terms of dancing my English teacher is probably the modern equivalent of an awkward dad at a 60s dance. Which is a beautiful sight really. And as for spoken word, yes you must. I think you would be great at it.

      Delete
  2. I love that broken cities passage. It's interesting what happens, the culture that appears, when society starts to clump up and overflowing amounts of people are living in the confines of a comparatively small area. Thank you for sharing it.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problemo mi amigo. And it really is interesting. I kind of put myself in a New York state of mind, being that it's a largely populated and hectic city, and tried to imagine it. It's weird how it almost seems dystopian.

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to write a book and not for the reasons people would think, I want something of myself to carry on living even though I have passed, even if it didn't even go anywhere and no one read it!

    Meme x

    www.thedayinthelifeof.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should definitely write one. God knows how many times I've tried and failed. I suppose writing your blog is kind of the same as writing a book. Even if it doesn't have a stereotypical beginning middle and end.

      Delete
  4. Ahhh yes Shakespeare. His characters can be extremely sassy sometimes (BENEDICK AND BEATRICE THOUGH.)

    The Broken Cities bit is gorgeous <3 and I think it is far too true in this modern world. We are lost in the sterile land of money and clinically clean homes, and those who do not desire to sacrifice their soul to this vortex are trampled on.

    This sort of reminds me of a book I am reading in English class: Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton. It's about South Africa and the struggles with the mines in the 1940s. The style of writing is absolutely gorgeous and beautiful. "There is a road that runs from Ixopo into the hills..."

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TRUTH!!!! I've yet to read Much Ado About Nothing but I can tell you that Hal is one of the sassiest characters I've ever encountered. And also thank you. The book sounds amazing from what I've read on Amazon. The beginning of it kind of reminds me of Steinbecks style of writing, the descriptions and the strong focus on the setting. Plus, I think your interpretation was amazing. I myself don't even know what I was going for.

      Delete